My recipe for fruit and nut cake using gluten-free flour.
This recipe is a variation on traditional fruit cakes. My recipe is with gluten-free flour, adds walnuts and has a nice combination of dried fruit. This cake is fairly light and not too rich. You can omit the walnuts and the flaked almonds… but it wouldn’t be much of a fruit AND nut cake!
Makes 12 slices using an 18cm cake tin.
- 185g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 185g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 185g gluten-free self-raising flour
- third of a tsp Xanthan gum powder (gluten-free)
- 80g ground almonds
- 0.5 tsp almond extract/flavouring
- 365g dried mixed fruit comprising 40g cranberries, 110g raisins, 110g sultanas, 105g “mixed fruit”, but you can change the mix as you like.
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 20g flaked almonds for the top.
- Beat the softened butter with a whisk. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Beat the eggs in a large jug. Then gradually add the beaten egg to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Sieve the flour and Xanthan gum powder. Then, together with the ground almonds and almond extract, fold into the mixture in step 2 and mix well.
- Fold the dried fruit and walnuts into the mixture and gently mix. The mixture should be spoonable but not runny.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined/greased (18cm) cake tin, level and smooth the top (use a wetted dessert spoon to prevent sticking). Sprinkle the flaked almonds evenly on top and gently press them down into the surface of the mixture but not under the surface.
- Bake at 140 deg C fan (155 deg C no fan) for 1hr 30 mins to 1hr 45 mins, but check and test the bake at 1hr 30mins with a skewer. Add extra time as required until baked properly. I baked mine for 1hr 40mins at 155 deg C.
Nutrition (per slice)
- 12 slices, 426 calories per slice
- fat 22.2g (8.7g saturated)
- carbs 49.2g
- sugar 30.4g
- protein 6.3g
- fibre 1.5g
- salt 0.1g.