My recipe for classic Victoria sponge cake, made with gluten-free flour and reduced sugar jam.
Although the buttercream filling still has a lot of sugar in it, I’ve tried to reduce the overall sugar content. But I recognise that with the buttercream filling and icing sugar on top, this recipe has a lot of sugar anyway. You can omit the buttercream filling and topping if desired.
These quantites are for an 18cm cake using two 18cm cake tins for the halves. If you have larger or smaller cake tins, simply scale the recipe up or down as required. You could also bake the whole mixture in one deep cake tin then cut the sponge in half.
Makes about 12 slices.
For the cake halves:
- 200g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter – softened
- 4 large eggs.
For the filling:
- 75g (about 3 tbsp) reduced-sugar jam
- 100g unsalted butter – softened
- 100g icing sugar.
For the topping:
- 15g icing sugar.
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl (or kitchen mixer).
- Beat the eggs in a large jug.
- Add the softened butter, beaten eggs and golden caster sugar to the mixing bowl and beat the whole mixture well.
- Using two 18cm cake tins lined with baking paper or cake liners or greased, pour half of the mixture into each cake tin.
- Gently shake the cake tins to ensure the mixture is spread evenly into the cake tins.
- Bake at 165 deg C fan for 30-35 mins. Test with a skewer and use the finger press test to ensure the cake is baked.
- Turn out onto a wire rack, remove the cake tins and baking liners and leave to cool. Ensure the sponges are completely cooled before moving onto the next stage.
- Spread the jam evenly on one half of the cake.
- For the filling, cream the softened butter and icing sugar together until smooth, then spread the filling evenly on the other half of the cake. Carefully place the cake half with the filling onto the other cake half with the jam and sandwich the jam and filling surfaces together. Press down lightly until the filling sticks to the jam and the fillings spread to the edge, but without dripping over the edge. Tidy up the edges with a palette knife.
- For the topping, sift the icing sugar over the cake to dust the whole top.
Nutrition (per slice)
- 12 slices, 396 calories per slice
- fat 23.5g (saturated 13.1g)
- carbs 42.3g
- sugar 28.6g
- protein 3.9g
- fibre 0.1g
- salt 0.1g.