My recipe for bread pudding, a favourite of mine. This is a good way to use up old bread. You will need a very large bowl to mix all the ingredients. Alternatively, scale down the recipe if desired.
Sorry, this is not a gluten-free recipe but I’m working on it!
Makes 16 portions.
- 550g old bread (not mouldy!)
- 550g mixed fruit
- 95g mixed peel
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or 1 tsp lemon essence)
- 650ml milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2½ tsp mixed spice
- 110g butter
- 155g brown sugar (preferably dark)
- optional: 40g demerara sugar (to sprinkle on the top).
- Cut the bread into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mixed fruit, mixed peel, mixed spice and mix together with a large spoon.
- Add the milk and mix. The mixture should now be wet.
- Add the beaten eggs, sugar, lemon juice and mix. Leave for 10 mins to soak.
- Slowly melt the butter in a saucepan, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the melted butter to the mixture and thoroughly mix all ingredients.
- Place the mixture in a large baking dish and smooth the top.
- Optional: sprinkle the demerara sugar on the top.
- Bake at 165 deg C – 170 deg C fan for 1½ hours until the top is golden brown. Test with a skewer to ensure it’s baked. It should be crusty on top and soft in the middle. Ovens vary so you may need to adjust the temperature and timing.
- 16 portions, 320 calories per portion
- fat 8.0g (4.5g saturated)
- carbs 53.2g
- sugar 39.3g
- protein 6.8g
- fibre 4.1g
- salt 0.3g.