My recipe for banana cake using gluten-free flour.
Makes 16 slices.
- 400g ripe bananas (about 5 medium-sized 90g bananas)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 440g gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- 250g butter
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs (preferably room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100ml milk
- Optional: icing sugar to serve on top.
You should use very ripe bananas to be able to mash them to a pulp.
- Mash bananas thoroughly with a fork.
- Add lemon juice to the bananas.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat the eggs and gradually add to the mix.
- Add vanilla essence to the butter/sugar/egg mix.
- Warm milk in a microwave for about 45 seconds on high (or warm the milk on a hob).
- Add the bicarb of soda to the milk and stir. It will froth up.
- Add the frothy milk, bananas and flour/baking soda to the mix.
- The resulting mix is batter-like and should be smooth.
- Transfer the mix to a lined cake tin, scraping the mixer bowl with spatula.
- Cook for 60-70 mins at 190 deg C fan, covering last 25 mins with foil to stop the top getting too dark or burning. Test with a skewer to ensure it’s baked. Ovens vary so you may need to adjust the temperature and timing.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack for 20 mins.
- Remove cake tin and base. Leave to cool.
- Optional: serve with a dusting of icing sugar on top.
Nutrition (per slice)
- 16 slices, 315 calories per slice
- fat 14.0g (8.4g saturated)
- carbs 43.8g
- sugar 21.3g
- protein 3.3g
- fibre 0.6g
- salt 0.2g.